Validating against the W3C Markup Validation Service showed two
<div> tags that were under
<ul> and shouldn’t be but apart from that I have no idea how to reduce the HTML size as most of it is handled by Jekyll. The minimal CSS template used was good but I made it worse in the pursuit of a coherent design for light and dark theme 😅️. Clean-CSS helped clean the stylesheet a bit but I think it can be optimized even more without compromising the style or readability.
Another completely irrelevant but annoying issue was the error 404 for the favicon. I am not a brand or an organization or somebody famous to have a signature design or logo. Favicon doesn’t serve me any purpose. My occasional visitors don’t bookmark my website or save it on their desktop/mobile. Favicon web request, albeit small, is an overhead that can be eliminated. Stackoverflow proved helpful in this regard and I learned how
<link rel="icon" href="data:,"> can eliminate the failed request without uploading any favicon.
These optimizations are akin to shaving off a stubble instead of a beard but they make my site efficient bit by bit. The total page size is now 3.67KB (before publishing this post) according to this latest report from GTMetrix.
Day 60 - Join Me in #100DaysToOffload